Webinar for National Breastfeeding Week 2021
Feeding the Future: Shared Responsibility
Monday, October 04, 2021
To mark National Breastfeeding Week the National Women’s Council and Baby Feeding Law Group Ireland are co-hosting an online webinar on Monday 4th October from 12.30pm to 2pm.Hosted by Dr Aoibhinn Ní Shúilleabháin, the webinar will explore the different ways society needs to better protect and support breastfeeding, highlight the role breastfeeding can play in addressing women’s health inequalities and examine the major hurdles to be overcome for breastfeeding and infant nutrition to be adequately protected from commercial influences. Joint keynote address by President Michael D. Higgins and Mrs Sabina Higgins.
We have an excellent panel to lead this discussion:
- Laura McHugh, HSE National Breastfeeding Coordinator
- Prof. Gerard Hastings OBE, Professor Emeritus Stirling University, author of the research paper ‘Selling Second Best – How Infant Formula Marketing Works’
- Dr Meredith Kinoshita, Paediatric and Neonatal Specialist Registrar, lead author of Royal College of Physicians of Ireland’s Breastfeeding Position Paper
- Orla O’Connor, Director of National Women’s Council
Liz O’Sullivan, Dietitian and Nutrition Lecturer/Researcher TU Dublin and member of Baby Feeding Law Group Ireland will provide concluding remarks. We will also hear from Deborah Byrne, Bainne Beatha a new mother on her experiences of breastfeeding in Ireland.
We hope this event will be very interactive so please do bring questions and comments. We look forward to seeing you on 4th October.
If you require ISL please contact Susan McCormack Susanmcc@nwci.ie and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Public Consultation Submissions
- European Food Safety Authority Public Consultation on the appropriate age for the introduction of complementary feeding into an infant’s diet
- Department of Health Climate Change Adaption Plan Public Consultation
- United Nations Sustainable Development Goals Public consultation: BFLGI made a submission to agree with the Addition of Exclusive Breastfeeding to 6 months as an indicator for SDG No. 2: Zero Hunger
- 1st October 2019
- 7th April 2019
- The President of Ireland, Michael D. Higgins, to attend screening of Tigers
- 2nd June 2016
- BFLGI – Breastfeeding Welcome Everywhere